Historic Sites of Manitoba: Prout School No. 1821 (RM of St. Andrews)
The Prout School District was established formally in August 1916 and a school building operated on the southeast quarter of 35-17-3 east of the Principal Meridian in the Rural Municipality of St. Andrews. The present school building was erected in 1933 after the original building was destroyed by fire. It closed in 1965 and the building was renovated into a private residence.
Among the teachers of Prout School were Miss Mary Peace (1916), Kathleen McKinley (1917), John Sibinski (1923), A. M. Humeny (1923), F. W. Trudeau (1928), George W. Chidley (1928), Annie Kochie (1948), Mrs. Frances Buchurka (1965), and Josephine Toews (1965).
A History of Education in the Evergreen School Division by John C. Gottfried, MA thesis, University of Manitoba, 1965.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Beyond the Gates of Lower Fort Garry 1880-1981: R.M. of St. Andrews by Municipality of St. Andrews, 1982. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.S22 Bey]
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 9 February 2015
Back to top of page