Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Primrose School No. 457 (Municipality of Boissevain-Morton)

The Primrose School District was organized formally in June 1885 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at the northwest corner of NW18-4-20W in what is now the Municipality of Boissevain-Morton. The building was replaced with a new, modern structure in 1955. The school closed in June 1968 and the district was dissolved later that year. Its catchment area became part of the Turtle Mountain School Division.

Among the teachers of Primrose School were Isaac B. Logan (1887), P. R. Hamlen (1888), Isabella F. Croston (1888-1889), Kate Calder (1890-1892), M. E. Graham (1892), John T. Haig (1896), Alice Thompson (1898), Tephie Taylor (1899), Emma Clarke (1900), Bernice Loyst (1906), Annie Morrow (1907), Ruby Stock (1908), Miss Hall (1909), Miss Kate Walkinshaw (1910), Miss C. F. York (1910-1911), Miss McBeth (1912), Miss Bain (1912-1913), Martha J. Taylor (1913-1914), Miss Catherine Moore (1914-1916), G. Murray Anderson (1916-1918, 1921-1922), Mary Dickson (1918-1919), Violet Jacques (1919-1920), Dorothy E. Horton (1920), Gertrude E. Harris (1921), Mildred Loree (1921-1922), Agnes Tullock Lee (1921-1922), J. B. Cram (1922-1923), Velma Mackie (1923-1924), A. S. Bowman (1924-1925), Doris Chandler (1925-1930), Dorothy A. Kelly (1930-1931), Alice Graham (1931-1932), Lillian Johnson (1932-1937), E. Kathleen Stevenson (1937-1938), Madeline Demasson (1938-1940), Mary H. Turnbull (1940-1942), Nora M. McKinney (1942-1943), Ellen Hunter (1943-1946), Mrs. K. M. Duncan (1946-1947), Donalda J. Kee (1947-1948), Fred Cole (1948), Peter Stobbe (1948-1949), C. Tom Holden (1949-1950), Emily Holditch (1950), L. Mary Yule (1951-1953), Anna M. Galbraith (1953-1954), Laura A. Younge (1954-1955), Irma E. Shorey (1955-1956), Mrs. Betty B. Gerdis (1956-1961), Mrs. Jean Howell (1961-1963), Maria M. Roeges (1963-1965), and Mrs. Neta Mains (1965-1968).

Primrose School

Primrose School (no date) by W. J. Parr
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 62.

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.30975, W100.17178
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

School District Formation Files [Primrose School District No. 457], GR1688, E0027, Archives of Manitoba.

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Beckoning Hills Revisited: Ours is a Goodly Heritage, Morton-Boissevain, 1881-1981 by Boissevain History Committee, c1981, pages 169-173.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 1 May 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.