Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manwaring Block / Stubbs Block / Pratt Block (688 Main Street, Birtle, Municipality of Prairie View)
This two-storey stone building in Birtle, in the Municipality of Prairie View, was built around 1883 for merchant Henry Albert “Harry” Manwaring (1847-1929), who moved here from Fort Ellice. He sold it in 1913 to lawyer Lewis St. George Stubbs and the main floor was renovated into his law office. He took John W. Pratt into partnership and they practiced together until 1922, when Stubbs was appointed to a judgeship. It was later known as the Pratt Block.
“H. Manwaring, Birtle old-timer, is buried,” Manitoba Free Press, 23 April 1929, page 2.
A View of the Birdtail: A History of the Municipality of Birtle, 1878-1974 by Municipality of Birtle History Committee, edited by Marion Abra, 1974
Special Places - Birtle's Significant Heritage Buildings by Birtle Heritage Advisory Group, no date.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 30 June 2018
Back to top of page