Historic Sites of Manitoba: Prairie Rose School No. 967 (RM of Pipestone)
The Prairie Rose School District was established formally in July 1898, and a one-room frame school building was erected the next year on the northeast corner of 15-7-28 west in the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Pipestone. The district was dissolved in 1964. Its remaining students went to Reston Consolidated School No. 141. The school building was moved to a farmyard at N49.61223, W101.28035 but a monument at the original site, dedicated on 28 July 1979, commemorates it.
Among the teachers of Prairie Rose School were Miss Nellie B. Winter (1899), Miss J. C. Fraser, Miss Bessie Richards, Mr. F. W. James, Mr. F. E. Rink, Miss Sarah McKnight, Mr. W. J. Mahoney, Mr. A. A. Will, Miss Lottie Chapman, Mr. A. C. “Bert” Murray, Mr. J. B. McGuire, Miss Pearl Leigh, Miss Bolton, Miss Ballweber, Miss Edith Fraser, Miss Lillian Ferguson, Mr. John Murray Goodwin, Miss Clara McDougall, Miss Alice Baldwin, Jean Farnie, Miss Gertrude Gilson, Miss Margaret Milton, Mr. J. S. Milton, Miss Margaret Forbes, Miss Marion Miller, Miss Mary Guthrie, William Neil Gilchrist, Miss Mary (Molly) Hawkins, Frank Irwin Tindall, Miss Gertrude Ray, Miss Lillian Harper, Miss Phyllis Patmore, Miss Kathleen Cliff, Mrs. Isabelle Nixon, Miss Margaret Frame, Mrs. Ruth Boulton, Miss Mae Goodwin Miss Eldera Sissons, Miss Doris Rusk, Miss Mary Brownell, Mrs. Grace Nolan, Mr. Kenneth Smith, and Mrs. Winnie Walker.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Trails Along the Pipestone by Pipestone History Project, c1981, page 393-396. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.P56 Tra]
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 29 September 2019
Back to top of page