Historic Sites of Manitoba: Prairie Grove School No. 271 (RM of Tache)

The Prairie Grove School District was established in March 1885 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at a nearby site in the Rural Municipality of Tache. In 1947, a new building was constructed here and it operated until 1964. The district was dissolved in 1965 and its catchment area became part of the Transcona-Springfield School Division. As of 1986, the former school building was standing vacant at the site. It was later moved to a site to the east and renovated into a private residence. A sign at the site commemorates it.

The teachers of Prairie Grove School were Esther Sundell (1916-1917), Josephine McDougall (1917-1921), Gladys Heather (1921), Winnifred Poole (1921), Rachel Manishen (1922-1923), Miss L. A. Killieu (1922-1926), Miss H. E. O’Keefe (1926-1927), Miss Annie Wedro (1927-1928), Edna M. Kirkpatrick (1928-1933), Laura Ruth Mark (1933-1937), Evelyn Louise Kirkpatrick (1937-1940), Bessie Eileen Haddock (1940-1941), Irene Eugenie Rosset (1944-1945), John Prokipchuk (1945-1946), Margaret Ann Young (1946-1947), Stanley A. Richard Jaworski (1947-1949), Lucille E. Manaigre (1949-1950), Mrs. Erna Emilie Oczkus (1950-1951), Edna Mereb Warner (1951-1952), Theodore Wiloski (1952-1953), Mary Lou Carrrier (1953-1954), Mrs. Aline Morin (1956-1957), Elizabeth Beauchemin (1957-1958), Eva Bouchard (1958-1959), Helen Romaniuk (1959-1960), John Gordon Dewar (1960-1961), Neil McTavish (1961-1962), and Marie M. Simoens (1962-1964).

The former Prairie Grove School building

The former Prairie Grove School building (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 1362.

Prairie Grove School commemorative sign

Prairie Grove School commemorative sign (September 2023)
Source: Rose Kuzina

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.79759, W96.96228
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Prairie Grove School No. 271 / Prairie Grove Cemetery (RM of Tache)


“School District of Prairie Grove,” Winnipeg Free Press, 5 June 1947, page 22.

Dugald West topographic map, 62H/15, Edition 2, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].

Manitoba School Records Collection (GR9480), Prairie Grove School District No. 271 Daily Attendance Registers, Archives of Manitoba.

Manitoba School Records Collection (GR2035), Prairie Grove School District No. 271 Cash Book, Archives of Manitoba.

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.

We thank Macy Thiesen and Rose Kuzina for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 3 February 2024

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.

Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!