MHS Online Fundraising Auction: 21 -28 September 2022

MHS Smarty Party: 20 October 2022

Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Powerville Union School No. 824 (RM of Elton)

The Powerville School District was formally organized in July 1894 and a school building was constructed in 1896 at SE31-11-19W in the Rural Municipality of Elton, on land owned by H. R. Powers for whom the district was named. The building was renovated through the years; electric wiring and drywall was added in 1926, and windows were relocated from the east to west walls. In 1949, it was put on a new basement, toilets were added, and a heating plant was installed, replacing the former pot-bellied stove.

The school closed in June 1964 and remaining students joined the Rolling River School Division, with students going to the Forrest Elementary School. A monument, built in October 1999 by masons Ray McLaughlin and Ron Borotsik, was dedicated at a ceremony on 5 August 2000 in honour of the pioneers, teachers and students of the school. Its plaque was donated by the Lumbard family.

The teachers of Powerville School were Mr. Kelly, Grace Mitchell, Jean McConechy, Miss Minaker, Mr. Winton, Miss Lewis, Lorne Hunter, Gertie Johnson, Nellie Smith, Lizzie Powers, Edith Armstrong, Marion Tracy, Miss Wheaton, Katie Armstrong, Florence Rawson, Jean Curtis, Jean Smith, Jewel M. Nesbitt, Alice M. Palen, K. Clench, Lulu Garbutt, Irene Sinclair, Lottie Dotten, Beth Petty, Amy Stewart, Lena McDougall, Clarice McLean, Amy Davidson, Doris Osborne, Jean Beattie, M. Mastin, Doreen Alvis, Grace Williams, Ellen Jackson, June Gowanlock, Helen Brown, Joyce Muriel, Edith Stefan, Jean Witter, Flora Johnson, and Mrs. Tunningley.

Powerville School

Powerville School (circa 1911)
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photos GR2664 C65.

Students at Powerville School

Students at Powerville School (circa 1915)
Source: James Frank

Powerville School

Powerville School (July 1929)
Source: James Frank

Powerville School

Powerville School (no date) by A. J. Hatcher
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 6.

Powerville School commemorative monument

Powerville School commemorative monument (June 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.96037, W100.05011
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

Homesteaders and Homemakers: A History of Elton Municipality in its First Century by Elton Historical Committee, 1973. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.E48 Hom]

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

We thank James Frank for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 25 January 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.