Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Postup School No. 1655 (Municipality of Roblin)

The Postup School District was organized formally in February 1913. A school building operated on the northwest quarter of 5-27-27 west of the Principal Meridian in what is now the Municipality of Roblin, from 1914 to 1967. After the school closed, its remaining students went to Goose Lake Consolidated School No. 1283. The school building is no longer present at the site.

A monument to the school was erected in 1985 on the opposite corner of the road intersection from its former site, on the site of the former Postup Hall. It lists the names of early pioneers of the district from 1904 to 1967.

The monument also lists the names of teachers who served at Postup School through the years: Philip Storozynsky (1914-1920), Dmytro Dutchak (1921), Antin Skorobohach (1921-1922), William Lisowsky (1922-1924), John McNeil (1924-1926), Lorne Merle (1926-1928), Ralph Racklin (1928), Howard Allison (1928-1929), Mabel Barkley (1929-1931), Tillie Nowosad (1931-1932), Joan Belcher (1932-1934), Ronald J. Dingwall (1934-1936), Bruce Watson (1936), Ethel Rogers (1937), Viola M. Graham (1937-1938), Agnes Y. Arnott (1938-1939), John A. MacDonald (1939-1940), Mary Livingstone (1940-1942), Sophia Olsen (1942), Pauline Shenderewich (1942), Rita Ardis Jeffrey (1942-1943), Annie Ostrowski (1943-1944), Miss N. Pawloski (1944-1945), Liz Mitchell (1945-1946), Helen Kuzyk (1946-1947), Alice Stephanow (1947-1950), William Kozak (1950-1958), Heller Palmer (1958), Yvonne A. Magadell (1959), Leonard Glushka (1959-1961), Helen Beatrice Bondar (1961-1962), Mike Heschuk (1962-1963), Gladys Ludwig (1963), Irma Janzen (1963), Robin S. Morris (1964), Hanna Andres (1964), and Mary Livingstone (1964-1967).

Postup School

Postup School (no date) by H. L. Albright
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-3, page 11.

Postup School commemorative monument

Postup School commemorative monument (June 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Postup School commemorative monument

Postup School commemorative sign (September 2021)
Source: George Penner

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N51.31864, W101.23689
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

We thank Gayle Mager and George Penner for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 16 September 2022

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.