Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
LG History
Awards
2020

Fundraising Dinner 2020
MHS
Fundraising
Dinner
2020

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Jens Munk at Churchill
Field Trip:
Churchill
2020

Manitoba History No. 90
Manitoba
History

No. 90

Memorable Manitobans of 2019
Memorable
Manitobans
of 2019

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Postage Stamp Province 1870 (Mariapolis, Municipality of Lorne)

Manitoba was created by the proclamation of the Manitoba Act on 15 July 1870. Near this site in the village of Mariapolis, in the Rural Municipality of Lorne, was the original western boundary of a province that measured 130 miles (209 kilometres) east to west and 110 miles (177 kilometres) south to north with an area of 13,924 square miles (36,073 square kilometres). Its size and shape gave it the nickname “The Postage Stamp Province”. The boundaries were extended in 1881 and 1912, in the latter case to the present ones.

A plaque commemorating the Manitoba boundaries was erected in 2006 by the Manitoba Heritage Council. Another nearby monument commemorates the centenary of the organization of Mariapolis, on 11 March 1891. Originally, the town was to be named Saint Marie. However, the Northern Pacific and Manitoba Railway which established the local line in 1890 indicated it would prefer a name without the Saint prefix. The parish priest at Saint Alphonse, Father Telesphore Campeau, proposed Marieapolis and, over the years, the E was dropped to become Mariapolis.

Postage Stamp Province plaque at right and Mariapolis pioneers monument at left

Postage Stamp Province plaque at right and Mariapolis pioneers monument at left (October 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.36158, W98.99084
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Postage Stamp Province 1870 (RM of Alexander)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Postage Stamp Province 1870 (Gladstone)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Postage Stamp Province 1870 (Lac du Bonnet)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Postage Stamp Province 1870 (RM of Lansdowne)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Postage Stamp Province 1870 (RM of Louise)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Postage Stamp Province 1870 (RM of Piney)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Postage Stamp Province 1870 (RM of St. Laurent)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Postage Stamp Province 1870 (Winnipeg Beach)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Northern Manitoba Plaque

Sources:

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 6 October 2019

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.