Historic Sites of Manitoba: Security Grain Elevator / Northern Grain Elevator / National Grain Elevator / Cargill Grain Elevator (Pope, Municipality of Hamiota)
A wooden grain elevator at Pope, on the CNR Rivers Subdivision in what is now the Municipality of Hamiota, was built around 1905 for the Security Elevator Company. Later owners included the Northern Elevator Company (1929-1940), National Grain (1940-1974), and Cargill Grain (1975-1979). A balloon annex built in 1957 increased its capacity from 25,000 to 53,000 bushels. It closed in October 1979, when Cargill opened a high throughput facility at nearby Oakner, and was later demolished.
Agents / Buyers
Photos & Coordinates
“Current comments,” Hamiota Echo, 8 May 1968, page 2.
“Season’s greetings,” Hamiota Echo, 20 December 1973, page 7.
“Cargill opens high throughput facility,” Hamiota Echo, 18 October 1979, page 1.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 30 January 2021