There is some disagreement as to the basis for the naming for the village of Pope, in what is now the Municipality of Hamiota. Some sources indicate that it commemorates G. H. Pope, a right-of-way agent for the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway. Others assert that it is named for J. C. Pope, another railway right-of-way agent. In any event, there is not much left of Pope other than two empty houses and a store that closed in 1968. A grain elevator along the nearby railway line closed in the mid-1970s and is now gone. A post office, opened in 1909, closed in 1975.
Abandoned store at the former site of Pope (December 2011)
Source: Allan Drysdale
Abandoned store at the former site of Pope (June 2015)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N50.11365, W100.72947
denoted by symbol on the map above
Geographic Names of Manitoba, Manitoba Conservation, 2000.
Post Offices and Postmasters, Library and Archives Canada.
This page was prepared by Allan Drysdale and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 17 July 2016
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.