Historic Sites of Manitoba: Newton School / Pomeroy School No. 58 (RM of Roland)
Known as the Newton School District when it was established in 1878, classes were first held in a log church known as the Carman Mission. The first school house was built in 1883, about one half mile east of the junction of highway #3 and Tobacco Creek, in what is now known as the Rural Municipality of Roland. Three years later, it was moved across the highway and, in addition to school classes, also served as a church until Grace Church was built nearby, in 1896. The school was replaced with a new structure in 1909, probably designed by Carman architect Edmund Watson. The school’s name was changed to Pomeroy in the Spring of 1950 but the change was short-lived. In December 1953, the school closed when its district was consolidated with Roland School District. In 1974, the building was moved to the Pembina Threshermen’s Museum but a monument at the original site commemorates it. A metal commemorative sign was installed across the road, on the west side of Highway 3.
The teachers who worked at Pomeroy School through the years included Annie F. Young (1895), Evelina A. Bell (1896-1898), J.W. Smith (1899-1901), F.R. Milne (1901), Fred W. Andrew (1902-1903), John P. Cordukes (1903-1904), George A. Dave (1904-1905), Ethel S. Shields (1905-?), Ethel S. Shields (?-1909), Elizabeth York (1909), Miss M. M. Hope (1910-1911), Miss Eva Brady (1911-1912), Miss Elizabeth York (1912), Miss Bessie M. Williamson (1912-1914), Isabel B. Smith (1914-1915), Miss Della A. Turner (1915-1916), Annie L. Day (?-1919), Florence E. Sanderson (1920), Miss Lizzie Hardy, Miss Nellie Graham, Miss Mathieson, Miss Isabel McGregor (1921), Miss Annie J. Mowat (1921-1922), Miss Ida I. Clayton (1922-1924), Gladys E. Marcombe (1924-1925), H. Brown (1925-1926), Miss Hilda Wake Brown (1926-1932), Jessie Helen Clarke (1932-1933), Clare R. Cameron (1933-1936), Mary Ingram (1936-1937), Marion Pearl Compton (1937-1938), Lillian Ethel Gilligan (1938), Doris Ellen Skinner (1939-1941), Kathleen M. Cliff (1941-1942), Marjorie Ethel Sutton (1942-1943), Alice Rebecca Tomlin (1943-1944), Dulcie Jean Jackson (1944--1946), Donelda May Cook (1947-1948), Aileen Money (1948), Anna Marie MacLean (1949), Frances Joan Keith (1949-1950), Viola Pearl Scales (1950-1952), and Edith Anne Hildebrand (1952-1953).
Manitoba School Records Collection, Newton School District / Pomeroy School District, Archives of Manitoba.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
Roland & Myrtle Family Histories, Roland 4H, 1990, page 91.
School Bells & Honey Pails: A GPS Tour of Local Country Schools, Dufferin Historical Museum, circa 2011, 74 pages.
We thank Nathan Kramer and Art Peers for providing information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 4 February 2022