Historic Sites of Manitoba: Pleasant Valley School No. 862 (RM of Morris)
The Pleasant Valley School District was formally established in August 1895 and a school building at SW3-6-1W in the Rural Municipality of Morris. After the school closed, the building was sold and moved to Sperling where it was used as a Masonic Lodge (at N49.50875, W97.70339). The district was dissolved in 1967 and henceforth students from this area went to Rosenort Consolidated School No. 2455.
Among the teachers of Pleasant Valley School were Harry Topnick (1926-1927), Jacob Friesen (1927), and Erdman Kroeker (1950s).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Furrows in the Valley: A History of the Municipality and its People compiled by the Morris History Book Committee, edited by Lenore Eidse, 1980.
Aerial photograph A11638-95 , Manitoba Air Photo Library.
We thank Mariette Allen for assistance in locating an aerial photograph of Pleasant Valley School, and Henry Esau and Margaret Friesen for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 3 October 2015
Back to top of page