Historic Sites of Manitoba: Petersburg School No. 766 (Whitewater, RM of Morton)
This site, surrounded by trees with a rusting swing near a monument dedicated in 1988, was the location of Petersburg School, in the village of Whitewater in the Rural Municipality of Morton. The school district was formally established in May 1893, with the classes beginning in 1895 in a one-room schoolhouse constructed using locally manufactured bricks. The original building was later replaced by a wood frame structure. The school operated until January 1968. As of the early 1990s, the former school building was still present at the site but is now gone. The monument also commemorates Whitewater Church, which stood here from 1904 to 1957.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Beckoning Hills Revisited: Ours is a Goodly Heritage, Morton-Boissevain, 1881-1981 by Boissevain-Morton History Committee, 1981, page 329.
We thank Neil Christoffersen for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 31 October 2015
Back to top of page