Historic Sites of Manitoba: Perch School No. 2177 (Municipality of Rossburn)
Known originally as Peach Lake School District when it was organized formally in February 1928, using the western-most part of the land from the former Hranko School District, it was renamed Perch School District by 1944. A one-room schoolhouse operated beside Pete’s Lake, at NW16-20-24W in the Rural Municipality of Rossburn. It was destroyed by fire during the winter of 1951 but a replacement was built the following summer. The school closed permanently in 1960 and its district was dissolved the following year, the area becoming part of the Rossburn Consolidated School District and later the Pelly Trail School Division. The former school building and associated teacherage were moved to Rossburn.
The teachers of Perch School included Leo James Lubenieck (1928), Cassie McKee, Helen Kolachkowski, Mary Perch, Mary Gregor, Anne Gregor, Mike Tokar, Phyllis Chopp, Mrs. Duffy, Joe Kustiak, Ernie Stefanuk, and Robert Betz (1960).
Rossburn West topographic map, 62K/10 West, Edition 1, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
On the Sunny Slopes of the Riding Mountains, A History of Rossburn and District, Volume 1 by Rossburn History Club, 1984. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.R78 Ont]
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 4 March 2017
Back to top of page