Historic Sites of Manitoba: Pennarun School No. 1799 (RM of Ste. Rose)
The Pennarun School District was organized formally during a meeting at Ste. Rose du Lac on 5 June 1915. Subsequently, three schools stood at this site in the Rural Municipality of Ste. Rose. The first Pennarun School, built later in 1915, was destroyed by fire in 1918. Its replacement served the educational needs of the community until 1946 it was sold for $575 and moved to Ste. Rose du Lac and renovated into a private residence. The third school was used until 1963 then sold for $2,000 and used as Ste. Rose du Lac United Church (about N51.06156, W99.51820).
Enrollment varied through the years, from a high of 31 students (in 1943-1944) to a low of 8 (in 1961-1962). Low enrollment caused the school to close in 1963. The remaining students went to Ste. Rose du Lac Consolidated School No. 835. A fieldstone cairn at the former site of the school is topped by a metal model. A slot in the side of the cairn contains a guest book and a collection of photographs.
Teachers who worked at Pennarun School through the years included: J. A. Leseach (1918-1919), A. Bilodeau (1919-1920), M. J. Leseach (1920-1921), Marie Louise Trottier (1921-1922), Luce Trottier (1922-1924), R. Vanden Houten (1923-1924), Laurette Trottier (1924-1925), Nora Tennant (1925-1929), Yvonne Sicotte (1929-1930), Emilien Chiasson (1929-1930), Hilda Saurette (1930-1931), Marguerite Jutras (1931-1933), Marie-Jeanne Huitric (1933-1934), Marie Pennarun Gamache (1934-1943, 1948-1949, 1962-1963), Marie Irene Nivon (1943-1946), Madeline Pennarun (1946-1947), Elizabeth Maguet (1947-1948), U. J. Bohemier (1947-1948), Aline Callerec (1949-1950), Yolande Rajotte (1950-1951), Edward Debusschere (1951-1952), Lillian Carriere (1952-1953), Marguerite Deschenes (1953-1954), Paul Bisson (1953-1954), Jeanette Boyer (1954-1955), Claire Marchildon (1955-1956), Rita Laramee (1956-1957), Marie Pattyn (1957-1958), Therese Carriere (1958-1959), Odile Bouchard (1959-1960), and Angele Desrosiers (1960-1962).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Rosemarie Péloquin for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 31 October 2014
Back to top of page