The Pembina Crossing School District was established in July 1884 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SE30-2-8W in what is now the Municipality of Pembina. In 1964, the district was dissolved and its area became part of the Manitou Consolidated School District and later the Pembina Valley School Division. The former school building was demolished in the mid-1990s.
The former Pembina Crossing School building (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 990.
Pembina Crossing School commemorative sign (June 2019)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.14810, W98.53736
denoted by symbol on the map above
Pilot Mound East topographic map, 62G/2 East, Edition 1, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Lorna Clark for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 29 June 2019
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Help us keep history alive!