Historic Sites of Manitoba: Leland Hotel / Oakland Hotel (130 North Railway Street, Oak Lake, RM of Sifton)
A hotel in Oak Lake in the Rural Municipality of Sifton was built in 1885 by a Mr. Cook. Originally known as the Leland Hotel, it was renamed the Oakland Hotel at some point. Its front facade was renovated extensively and, at the time of a 2011 site visit, the building was vacant. It was demolished soon afterward.
Street view of Oak Lake with the Leland Hotel at right (circa 1910)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough, 2015-0125
Parade in front of the Leland Hotel (July 1912)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough, 2015-0124
Oakland Hotel (September 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N49.76624, W100.63102
denoted by symbol on the map above
Ox Trails to Blacktop by Oak Lake History Committee, 1982.
We thank Barry Flett for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 19 November 2015
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.