Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Young Historians 2019
Young
Historians
2019

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Oakdale School No. 709 (RM of Langford)

Prior to the formation of Oakdale School District, in May 1892, classes were held in a log cabin. A frame school building was later erected on a hill in the southwest quarter of 15-14-14, west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Langford. It burned to the ground in the Christmas week of 1918. From January 1919 to June 1921, classes were held in a nearby residence because plans for construction of a new school were delayed while discussion of consolidation with an adjacent school district were underway. In 1921, a new building was constructed and classes resumed. It closed in June 1941. The building was eventually sold and moved to Neepawa for use as a store and office for a farm- and garden-supply business. It later became a horse barn.

The teachers of Oakdale School were Joseph Little, C. E. Short, Nellie Conner, M. Wemple, John Duncan, C. J. Dalyiel, Kate Drysdale, Millie Montagne, Robena Taylor, Nellie McLaren, L. A. Gorrie, Richard Collier, Miss Bates, Mabel Johnson, Charlotte Jackson, Ethel Shipley, Millie Porteus, Miss E. J. Beal, Hilda McMillan (1914-1916), Ferne Grose (1916), Florence Cruickshank (1916-1917), Eva Astrophe (1917-1918), Magdalen Hill (1918-1920), Flora Davidson (1920), Isabelle Sutherland (1921), Emily Ferguson (1922), Audrey Leach (1923-1925), Leolle Thomson (1925-1926), Molly Hawkins (1926-1928), Irene Coutts (1928-1929), Betty LePage (1929-1930), Mabel Beattie (1930-1932), Doris Charleson (1932-1933), Ada M. Allen (1933-1937), Alberta Kennedy (1937-1939), Edith Sudbury (1939-1940), and Audrey Young (1940-1941).

Oakdale School

Oakdale School (no date) by W. C. Hartley
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 113.

Site Location (lat/long): N50.18120, W99.30520
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

First Century of Langford, 1891-1991 by Langford Centennial History Committee, 1990, pages 54-56.

The Beautiful Plains Story: 1983-2008 by Neepawa and Area History Committee, 2008, page 158.

This page was prepared by Allan Drysdale and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 3 February 2015

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.