Historic Sites of Manitoba: Sunnyside School No. 40 / Oakbank School No. 40 “B” (RM of Springfield)
Originally known as the Sunnyside School District when it was established in September 1876, a one-room schoolhouse operated at SW27-11-5E in the Rural Municipality of Springfield. To handle a larger number of student and reduce their travel time, this second one-classroom school was opened by the spring term of 1916 and unofficially designated with a “B” letter designation. It was renamed the Oakbank School District in January 1954. This site closed in the summer of 1963, with classes returning to the district’s remaining “A” school. The catchment area then became part of the Oakbank Consolidated School District No. 2426.
Among the teachers of School “B” were Albert Carl Gamey (1916), Gertrude E. Bray (1920), Laura K. McCormick (1920-1921), Margaret Hunter (1921), Ruby W. Wilmoth (1921-192), Mildred Mary Hammond (1927-1928), Isabel Jacqueline Duffey (1948-1951), Mrs. M. R. Nazeravich (1951), Emma Massicotte (1951-1952), Orest Stephen Roscoe (1952-1953), Frederick “Fred” Daciw (1953-1955), Muriel Winnifred Solomon (1956-1957), Barney J. Dram (1957-1958), Ted “Teddy” Stoyko (1958-1959), and Diane L. McFarlane (1962-1963).
School division half-yearly attendance reports (E 0757), Archives of Manitoba.
School division and school district formation files, Sunnyside School District No. 40, GR1688, Archives of Manitoba.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Sunnyside School District No. 40 Daily Registers, GR9480, Archives of Manitoba.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Oakbank School District No. 40 Daily Registers, GR9480, Archives of Manitoba.
[School Division maps - The Transcona Springfield School Division No. 12], Archives of Manitoba.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 20 March 2018
Back to top of page