Historic Sites of Manitoba: Northern Crown Bank Building / Royal Bank Building (968 Main Street, Winnipeg)
This two-storey brick building at the corner of Main Street and Selkirk Avenue in Winnipeg was built in 1906 as a branch of the Northern Crown Bank. In 1918, renovations designed by architect John Hamilton Gordon Russell and built by contractor Aaron Grey turned it into a branch of the Royal Bank of Canada.
Memorable Manitobans: John Hamilton Gordon Russell (1863-1946)
Memorable Manitobans: Aaron Grey (1865-1962)
Manitoba Business: Northern Crown Bank
Manitoba Business: Royal Bank of Canada
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 883/1918, City of Winnipeg Archives.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
We thank Kerrin Asmundson, Jordan Makichuk, and George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 18 September 2022
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.