Known initially as the Northern Bank when it was established in Winnipeg in 1905, it was renamed the Northern Crown Bank when it absorbed the Crown Bank of Toronto in 1908. It was taken over by the Royal Bank of Canada in 1918.
Directors of the Northern Crown Bank (1911):
James Henry Ashdown (1844-1924)
Douglas Colin Cameron (1854-1921)
Robert Campbell (1861-?) - General Manager
Henry Thomson Champion (1847-1916)
William C. Leistikow (1852-?)
L. M. McCarthy - Superintendent of Branches
Daniel Hunter McMillan (1846-1933) - President
Frederick Nation (1861-1955)
William Robinson (1849-1936) - Vice-President
Rodmond Palen Roblin (1853-1937)
The Buildings of the Winnipeg-Based Union and Northern Crown Banks: A Glimpse into Early Twentieth Century Corporate Architecture by David Spector
Manitoba History, Number 21, Spring 1991
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Northern Bank Building (139 Main Street, Melita)
Advertisement, Manitoba Free Press, 16 March 1911.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 28 December 2014
Back to top of page