Historic Sites of Manitoba: Nordale School (99 Birchdale Avenue, Winnipeg)
The school opened in 1949. Its cornerstone, with enclosed time capsule, was laid on 23 June 1949 by the Norwood School Board Chairman W. C. Leitke, along with St. Boniface Mayor George Campbell MacLean, Minister of Education Charles Rhodes Smith, Norwood School District Vice-Chairman L.E. Ostlander and Reverend D. Warren Campbell of the Norwood Presbyterian Church and Reverend T. M. Badger of the Nordale United Church. The capsule contained a copy of the 1924 Incorporation Bill of the Norwood School District No. 2113, along with lists of provincial, municipal, and school board officials.
The single-storey school was designed by the architectural firm of Green Blankstein Russell and Associates, and built at a cost of $275,000 by contractor Gerhard A. Baert. The school was built of reinforced concrete and grey brick walls and rushed to completion for the fall school term, opening on 12 September 1949. Though classes were in session, finishing touches were still ongoing, with students in grades K-6 using temporary desks and chairs, and making do without blackboards. Originally opened with eight classrooms, a ninth classrooms was open by the time of official opening ceremonies on 5 April 1950 attended by G. C. MacLean and Norwood School Board Chairman H. R. Parker. The completed school had room for 350 students and featured a 500-seat auditorium, library, health room, kitchen, and principal and school board offices. In 1953, four classrooms were added at the cost of $80,000 and two more were added in 1962.
The school became part of the Norwood School Division, before amalgamating with the St. Boniface School Division to form the Louis Riel School Division.
Among the teachers who worked at Nordale School through the years were Miss E. Francis (1949-?), Mike Spack (1949-?), Winifred “Chips” Smallbone (1949-1962), and Stanley James Kazina (c1965-c1983).
Photos & Maps
“W. C. Leitke lays cornerstone of $285,000 Nordale School,” Winnipeg Free Press, 24 June 1949, page 3.
“St. Boniface faces poser; growth outstrips services,” Winnipeg Free Press, 29 July 1949, page 3.
“New Nordale School opens classes Monday,” Winnipeg Free Press, 9 September 1949, page 3.
“Mushrooming homes produce school problems for suburbs,” Winnipeg Free Press, 21 September 1949, page 10.
“Minister terms opening of new school gala event,” Winnipeg Free Press, 6 April 1950, page 3.
“Nordale plans school east of Seine,” Winnipeg Free Press, 18 September 1952, page 3.
“Building of new schools expected to route bogeys of crowded classes,” Winnipeg Free Press, 22 July 1953, page 3.
“Heavy construction program is planned,” Winnipeg Free Press, 4 March 1953, page 3.
“Tender notice,” Winnipeg Free Press, 10 February 1962, page 48.
“Goodbye, Miss Chips,” Winnipeg Free Press, 26 May 1962, page 3.
“Items of social interest,” Winnipeg Free Press, 5 June 1962, page 15.
“Students give elderly lady a helping hand,” Winnipeg Free Press Weekly South Edition, 19 May 1991 South Edition, page 3.
“Too hot for jury, students to think,” Winnipeg Free Press, 17 June 1995, page 2.
Henderson’s Winnipeg Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 22 January 2018
Back to top of page