Historic Sites of Manitoba: New Hirsch School No. 1589 / New Hirsch School No. 1692 (Camper, RM of Grahamdale)
The New Hirsch School District was established formally in November 1911 and a schoolhouse operated in Camper (SE17-24-6W) in what would later be the Rural Municipality of Grahamdale. In 1936, the district became part of the Woodlea Municipal School District. The district was reorganized in March 1958 to include catchment area formerly within the Mortimer Davis School District No. 1692, and it resumed independent operation at SE17-24-6W under the other former district’s number. It carried on independent operations until joining the Lakeshore School Division in 1967.
Among the teachers at New Hirsch School were Kenneth McKenzie Grant (1940-1941), Mary Chreptyk (1942-1944), Gladys Verena Barnett (1944-1945), and Lea Alice Gasper (1964-1966).
Ashern topographic map, 62O/1, Edition 1, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Manitoba School Records Collection, New Hirsch School District #1589 - Daily Registers, GR3613, Archives of Manitoba.
Manitoba School Records Collection, New Hirsch School District #1692 - Daily Registers, GR11220, Archives of Manitoba.
School division and school district formation files (E 0027), Certificates of Title for Old School Sites: #1692 - New Hirsch, GR1181, Archives of Manitoba.
Page revised: 19 June 2019
Back to top of page