Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Jens Munk at Churchill
Field Trip:
Churchill
2020

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Neufeld Housebarn (RM of Rhineland)

The map location shown for this Historic Site of Manitoba is APPROXIMATE.
If you know its exact location, please contact us at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Around 1981, this housebarn in the Rural Municipality of Rhineland was featured in a Manitoba Co-operator series on rural buildings. The original caption for the photograph is given below.

Abe Neufeld built this combination house and barn in 1875 about one-half mile southeast of Rosetown. More than 106 years later, his great grandson Abe E. Kehler and family are still living there. Built in the traditional Mennonite village style of a single structure for livestock, machinery and family, the barn portion measures 28 feet by 80 feet and the house portion 26 feet by 40 feet. This house takes on added significance when one considers that the first wave of Mennonite settlers did not step from the river in Fort Garry until 31 July 1874. According to reports, 325 men, women and children then settled on the East and West Reserves to take up farming and this particular house was built the following year. The combining of quarters for family and livestock was not exclusive to Mennonite settlers, but in fact had been well established in Quebec and other eastern regions for several centuries. In Manitoba, however, the combination house-barn is almost exclusively associated with the early Mennonite community.

No information is available on the present status of the building.

Neufeld Housebarn

Neufeld Housebarn (circa 1981)
Source: Bob Hainstock

Approximate Site Location (lat/long): N49.04146, W97.72913
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Co-operator Rural Buildings Series

Sources:

This page was prepared by Bob Hainstock, Ed Ledohowski, and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 27 March 2019

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.