Historic Sites of Manitoba: Nesbitt School No. 724 (Nesbitt, Municipality of Oakland-Wawanesa)
The Nesbitt School District was established in December 1892 and a schoolhouse operated in Nesbitt in what is now the Municipality of Oakland-Wawanesa. It became Nesbitt Consolidated School in 1962 when it was consolidated with several rural schools from the surrounding area, including Minnewawa School No. 372, Riverbank School No. 384, and Bertha School No. 861. It closed in 1968.
Among the teachers who worked at Nesbitt School was Mildred Edith Richarda Dowd.
Photos & Coordinates
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Lynn Jones and Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 19 February 2021