The Bertha School District was organized formally in June 1895 and a school building was eventually erected on the southwest quarter of 32-6-18 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Riverside. The school closed in 1961 and the district was dissolved the next year. The remaining students went to Nesbitt Consolidated School No. 724. The building is no longer on the site but a fieldstone cairn commemorates it.
Bertha School (no date) by W. J. Parr
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 13.
Bertha School cairn (August 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N49.52433, W99.87867
denoted by symbol on the map above
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 7 December 2013
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.