Historic Sites of Manitoba: Neighborhood School No. 2274 (RM of Morris)
The Neighborhood School District was formally established in October 1936 and a school building operated at SE30-6-2E in the Rural Municipality of Morris. It closed in 1952 and the district was dissolved in 1967. Its catchment area was divided between Osborne School No. 260 or Morris Consolidated School No. 2431. The only vestige of the school at the site are a few chunks of concrete from its foundation. In September 2015, a sign commemorating the school was erected there.
Among the teachers who worked at Neighborhood School were: Grace Cochrane (Bobrowski), Eleanor Linklater (Sommer), Edith McKenzie, Ed Kroeker, Ida Hoffman, Bertha Wiens, Erica Janzen, Kay Harkins, Miss Downey, Millie Ginn, Norma Benson, and Rita Blakely.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Furrows in the Valley: A History of the Municipality and its People compiled by the Morris History Book Committee, edited by Lenore Eidse, 1980.
Aerial photograph A11638-218 , Manitoba Air Photo Library.
We thank Mariette Allen for assistance in locating an aerial photograph of Neighborhood School and Nathan Kramer for providing additional information.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 28 March 2020