Historic Sites of Manitoba: Myrtle Consolidated School No. 708 (Myrtle, RM of Roland)
Myrtle School was first established in the village of Myrtle, in the Rural Municipality of Roland, in May 1892. In August 1919, it became Myrtle Consolidated School No. 708 when it was consolidated with McNab School No. 1032, Queen Centre School No. 1219, and Woodvale School No. 1350. The school closed in January 1968 and was later demolished and replaced by a commemorative monument.
Among the other teachers of Myrtle School were Miss Alice Argue (1893), Charles L. Miller, Ethel M. Arnott, and Carolyne Alexandra McBean.
Photos & Coordinates
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Roland & Myrtle Family Histories, Roland 4H, 1990, page 89.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 11 February 2021