Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Jens Munk at Churchill
Field Trip:
Churchill
2020

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Mount Hope School No. 1302 (RM of Strathcona)

The Mount Hope School District was established formally in July 1904 but a school was not operated until 1913 when a building was erected in the southwest corner of 20-4-15 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Strathcona. The school closed in 1959 and its remaining students went to Belmont Consolidated School No. 441. The district was dissolved in January 1960. The former school building stood vacant at the site for a time but only a commemorative monument remains there now.

The teachers of Mount Hope School were Kathleen Kinley, “Birdie” Wood, Jean Sutherland, Mary Taylor, Annie Lawson, Violet E. Blaker, Irene Cummings, Marjorie Dunn, Mary Jane MacKenzie, Helen Brigham, Iris Garnet, Esther Aikens, Harriett Scarlett, Mabel E. Waddell, Una C. Cobb, Dorothy Lampard, Mayme White, Verna Woods, Dorothy Wilson, Ella Eliasson, Evelyn Crerar, Myrtle Harvey, Margaret Alcock, Jean McMillan, Agnes MacDonald, Beryl Matchett, Pearl E. Williamson, Mae McVicar, Margaret Heapy, June Money, Donna Bruce, Mildred Cardno, Patricia Chambers, Shirley Dubyts, and Dona Swanton.

Mount Hope School

The former Mount Hope School building (no date)
Source: A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, 1994.

Mount Hope School

The former Mount Hope School building (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 1332.

Mount Hope School

Mount Hope School monument (October 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.31830, W99.47249
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

The Path of the Pioneers: Belmont and District, 1889-1989 by Belmont History Committee, 1989. [Legislative Library of Manitoba, F5649.B44 Pat]

A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 16 April 2015

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.