Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
LG History
Awards
2020

Fundraising Dinner 2020
MHS
Fundraising
Dinner
2020

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Jens Munk at Churchill
Field Trip:
Churchill
2020

Manitoba History No. 90
Manitoba
History

No. 90

Memorable Manitobans of 2019
Memorable
Manitobans
of 2019

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Mountain Gap School No. 898 (Municipality of Grandview)

The Mountain Gap School District was organized formally in May 1897 and a school building was erected in the southeast quarter of 7-24-25 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Grandview. It closed in 1965 and its remaining students went to Grandview Consolidated School No. 2447. The school building was moved to SW13-24-25W where it is used as a garage. A monument at the original site commemorates it.

Among the teachers who worked at Mountain Gap School through the years was Ed Arndt (1962-1963).

The first Mountain Gap School

The first Mountain Gap School (no date) by H. L. Albright
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 19.

The second Mountain Gap School

The second Mountain Gap School (no date) by H. L. Albright
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 19.

Mountain Gap School teacherage

Mountain Gap School teacherage (circa 1962)
Source: Ed Arndt

Mountain Gap School and teacherage

Mountain Gap School and teacherage (June 1963)
Source: Ed Arndt

The former Mountain Gap School building

The former Mountain Gap School building (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 461.

Mountain Gap School commemorative monument

Mountain Gap School commemorative monument (June 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Mountain Gap School building, about N51.07302 W100.85954

Mountain Gap School building, about N51.07302 W100.85954 (June 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N51.14028, W100.81441
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.

We thank Ed Arndt for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 5 January 2020

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.