Historic Sites of Manitoba: Mountain Crest School No. 2079 (Municipality of Swan Valley West)
The Mountain Crest School District was organized formally in September 1921 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at NW10-34-27W in what is now the Municipality of Swan Valley West. It was closed from 1937 to 1941, due to low enrollment then was moved to NW16-34-27W. The school closed on 7 November 1966 with students transferring to Swan River School. The following year, the district was dissolved and its catchment area became part of the Swan Valley School Division. The building was moved to a bible camp where it was used as a kitchen and dining room.
Among the teachers of Mountain Crest School were Miss Ingram (1923), Anthony Shewchuk (1957-1958), Ellen Lambert (1959-1960), Leona Marie Larock (1960-1962), Joan Ann Larock (1962-1963), Ralph William Brandson (1963-1964), Sylvia Louise Shewchuk (1964-1966), and Mary A. Beckett (1966).
School District Formation Files [Mountain Crest School District No. 2079], GR1688, E0027, Archives of Manitoba.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Boots, Buggies & Buses: Swan Valley Schools in Quest of Education, Swan Valley School Division No. 35, circa 1998.
Manitoba School Records Collection (GR2037), Mountain Crest School District No. 2079 Daily Registers, Archives of Manitoba.
Page revised: 25 November 2016
Back to top of page