Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Morton School No. 652 / Morton Pioneers Monument (RM of Thompson)

A monument was erected in comemmoration of the pioneers of the Morton district, established in 1886 in the Rural Municipality of Thompson. It stands on the former site of Morton School No. 652 at NW14-5-7W, on the farm of Harman Umphrey. Established as a school district in April 1891, and named for local settler John Morton, it was the educational centre of the community, and it served as a meeting place for the Royal Templars of Temperance and Epworth League as well as Sunday School, church services, and political rallies and polling stations. In 1917, it was consolidated into the Miami Consolidated School District. The former school building was used as a community hall, enlarged in 1930 with a full basement, oil-fueled furnace, and dance floor. In 1967, the building was sold and moved to Roseisle where it was used as a warming shack near an outdoor skating rink.

Among the teachers who worked at Morton School were Jennie Brethour (1892-1893), William Hornibrook (1893-1894), John Maclise (1895), Eleanor Short (1896-1897), Maude Greenway (1897-1899), O. Hornibrook (1899), Ella Playfair (1900), Agnes Grant (1901), Belle Joselyn (1902-1904), Nettie Murdock (1902-1904), Ethel I. Sibley (1905), Robert Moir (1906-1908), Vera McLean (1908), Fanny A. Hitchcock (1909), Sarah M. Wood (1910-1911), Mildred Clark (1911), Myrtle McNevin (1912), Euphemia Sterling (1913), Elizabeth Fraser (1913-1914), Katharine Mills (1914-1915), A. D. Phillips (1915-1916), Hazel M. Fisher (1916-1917), and Celestine DeRoo (1917).

Morton Pioneers Monument

Morton Pioneers Monument (October 2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.39872, W98.31779
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Miami & R. M. of Thompson Chronicles by Thompson History Book Committee, c1998. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5649.M50Mia]

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 6 August 2018

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.