Historic Sites of Manitoba: Moose Bay School No. 1459 (RM of Lakeshore)
The Moose Bay School District was organized formally in April 1908 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at the southwest corner of SW11-28-17W in what is now the Rural Municipality of Lakeshore. In 1936, the district became part of the Lawrence Municipal School District. After the school closed in June 1967, the school building and teacherage were sold and moved to a site nearer to Dauphin Lake (N51.33320 W99.74660) where they were used as a cottage. Only some playground equipment remains at the original site.
Among the teachers of Moose Bay School were George E. Basham (1909), Mrs. Emma Rice (1910-1912), J. Cordon (1914-1917), W. H. Andrews (1928-1929), George Laycock (1931-1936), Anna Sloboda (1938-1939), Margaret L. Laycock (1940-1941), Mrs. A. M. Huculak (1943-1944), Mr. M. Rehaluk (1945-1946), Michael Midgrain (1946-1947), Mary Glena (1947-1948), A. Kozachenk (1948-1949), Olga A. Helash (1949-1950), George Lysack (1950-1951), Boris Prokopowich (1951-1952), Alexander Krawec (1952-1953), Miron Swintak (1953-1954), Laurel Shewchuk (1955-1956), Jean Burchuk (1956-1957), Peter Semchyshyn (1957-1958, 1963-1965), Velta Yaeger (1958-1959), Barbara Pitura (1959-1960), John Harrison (1961-1962), Fred Werbiski (1961-1962), and Mrs. B. Karpluk (1965-1967).
School District Formation Files [Moose Bay School District No. 1512], GR1688, E0027, Archives of Manitoba.
“The local round,” Dauphin Herald, 20 October 1938, page 9.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Opening the Door - The Past Comes Alive, The History of the Rural Municipality of Lawrence by Lawrence Municipality History Committee, 1997, pages 209-210.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 4 January 2020
Back to top of page