Historic Sites of Manitoba: Misericordia General Hospital (20 Sherbrook Street, Winnipeg)
In 1898, four nuns from the Soeurs de Misericorde (Sisters of Mercy) came from Montreal to open a mission in Winnipeg to care for unwed mothers and fatherless children. Demand grew quickly so, between 1899 and 1900, they constructed a three-storey wood frame structure as a maternity hospital. In 1907, it was more than doubled in size with the construction of centre and north wings, both of which remain today, designed by architects Joseph-Azarie Senecal and Daniel Smith. (The original 1899-1900 south wing is gone.) In 1917, the Misericordia Maternity Hospital became the Misericordia General Hospital to serve the growing neighborhoods of Wolseley, Crescentwood, Fort Rouge, and River Heights.
Numerous additions to the original building have occurred through the years. A School of Nursing was inaugurated in 1916 and a nurses’ residence was built in 1930. The Maryland wing (designed by the firm of Northwood and Chivers) was added in 1950 and the Cornish wing was built in 1957. The Riverview Annex from 1971 provided a modern Emergency Room and Intensive Care Unit. In 1998, the facility was down-graded from an acute-care centre to the Misericordia Urgent Care Centre. Most recently, the Maryland wing, home of the Buhler Eye Care Centre, opened in January 2015 at cost of $43 million.
The former nurses’ residence was demolished in late November or early December 2020.
Photos & Coordinates
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 1906/1688, City of Winnipeg Archives.
Misericordia Hospital Winnipeg: 60th anniversary, 1924-1984, Misericordia Nurses Alumni, c1984. [Manitoba Legislative Library, RA893.W5.M5]
“Nurses pleased Misericordia saved,” Winnipeg Free Press, 21 August 1996, page 3.
“Misericordia’s new urgent care facility expected to be busy,” Winnipeg Free Press, 16 December 1998, page 6.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 23 November 2021