Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Pool Grain Elevator (Minitonas, Municipality of Minitonas-Bowsman)
A 50,000-bushel elevator at Minitonas, on the CNR Cowan Subdivision in what is now the Municipality of Minitonas-Bowsman, was built in 1950 by Manitoba Pool Elevators, becoming its third elevator here, dubbed Pool C. (Pool A was built in 1948 and Pool B was the first of the company’s elevators at Minitonas, built in 1926. In 1966, the company purchased an elevator operated by Federal Grain, built in 1940 by Searle Grain, and named it Pool D.)
Major renovations of Pool C were done in 1977, including construction of a new driveshed and office, and installation of a new scale and distribution and dust collection systems. Crib annexes from the former A and D elevators (both demolished around 1978-1979) were moved on either side of the elevator to consolidate into a single, 167,500-bushel facility.
Closed by Agricore United in late January 2002, the elevator was demolished later that year.
Agents / Buyers
Photos & Coordinates
“Two more elevators close,” Swan Valley Star and Times, 5 February 2002, page 1.
“25 years ago,” Swan Valley Star and Times, 10 December 2002, page 24.
Manitoba Pool Fonds, S. J. McKee Archives, Brandon University.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 16 January 2022