Historic Sites of Manitoba: Mineral Creek School No. 1108 (Municipality of Gilbert Plains)
The Mineral Creek School District was organized formally in April 1901 and a one-room school building was erected the following year, at a cost of $350, on the northeast quarter of 11-25-21 west of the Principal Meridian, in what is now the Municipality of Gilbert Plains. The school housed children in grades 1 to 8 until 1926 when an additional classroom was built to house grades 7 to 11.
The district was dissolved in 1967 with remaining students going to Brickburn Consolidated School. Over the course of its 66 years of operation, Mineral Creek School had a total of 57 teachers instructing 670 students. The former school building was moved to Gilbert Plains where it was used for a time, along with the former Deer Park School and Halicz School, as overflow classroom space. After a new elementary school building opened, it was moved to the village of Ashville where it was turned into a community hall. It later became a private residence. A stone monument dedicated on 1 August 1993 commemorates the school at its original location.
Among the teachers of Mineral Creek School was Lloyd S. Smith (?-1948).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Country Schools of Gilbert Plains by Barry Randell, 2006.
We thank Ed Arndt for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 30 December 2020