Historic Sites of Manitoba: Millbrook School No. 101 (RM of Springfield)

The Millbrook School District was organized formally in October 1880 and, for a time, classes were held in a log building at SE27-10-6E. It was replaced by a wood frame structure on the northwest corner of 22-10-6E, on an acre of land in the Rural Municipality of Springfield donated by John Fetterly. Around 1940, school trustees purchased two more acres from Stanford Fetterly, son of John Fetterly, and erected the present building. After the school closed in 1964, remaining students went to Dugald Consolidated School No. 2427. The building was sold and renovated into a private residence.

Teachers who taught at Millbrook School included (1883-1906): John R. Steep, Edward Anthony Wharton Gill, P. A. Sinclair, M. J. Murphy, W. R. Taylor, James McIvor, C. S. Lyons, A. C. Robertson, Alma McLeod, Mary Povak, Maggie Foster, Thomas Ross, H. Gulls, Annie McQuade, Samuel Wilkes, J. McCormick, W. G. Henderson, J. H. B. Frances, and Ruby Lorner; (1906 onwards): Mr. B. H. Billinghurst (1906) Alma McLeod (1906, 1910), Mary McRae (1906), Eva E. Bruce (1906), Ella MacTavish (1906), Jessie J. Scoular (1907-1909), Madge McLeod, Helena McTavish (1911), Margery Maynard (1911), Isobel Johnson (1911), Ina McVager, Sybil McIvor (1912), Martha Murray, Mabel Kellington, May Millidge, Beatrice Peterson (1919-1920), Alice Moorhouse (1920), Jean I. Aitken (1921), Hilton L. Gunn (1921), Alice M. R. Thomsen (1922-1927), Katherine M. “Kay”Wenmon (1927-1928), Florence Ellen Potter (1929-1932, 1938-1939), Lois Kathleen Tisdale (1932-1933), Alice Margaret Blocker (1933-1938), Charlotte Betteridge McDonald (1939-1940), Marion A. Mackrell (1940), Mrs. Evelyn Brimacombe (1941), Mrs. Margaret Helen Bryce (1941-1944), Mrs. Kathleen Margaret Colbert (1941-1947), Frances Margaret Coey (1947-1948, 1950-1951), Elizabeth E. Gillespie (1948-1949), Mrs. Pauline Kruchak (1951-1953), Levi Goertzen (1953), Nora Helen Hadaller (1954, 1955), Joanne Parisian (1955), Marjorie B. Hadaller (1955), Joyce Leone Briercliffe Stroud (1955-1958), Mrs. Olive Grace Galloway (1958-1962), Rudy Fast (1962-1963), and Daniel “Dan” Talnicoff (196-1964).

The former Millbrook School building

The former Millbrook School building (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 1265.

The former Millbrook School building

The former Millbrook School building (March 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.85507, W96.70596
denoted by symbol on the map above


One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.

Springfield: 1st Rural Municipality in Manitoba, 1873-1973 by Dugald Women’s Institute, 1974.

Manitoba School Records Collection, Millbrook School District No. 101 - Daily Registers, GR9480, Archives of Manitoba.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 13 February 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.

Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!