Historic Sites of Manitoba: Midtown Bridge (Donald Street, Winnipeg)
This bridge across the Assiniboine River in Winnipeg was completed between 1954 and 1955. The fixed-span crossing was approved by the City’s Department of Public Works in February 1954. The substructure was provided by the Harris Construction Company Limited and Dominion Bridge Company contracted for the superstructure. Construction was supervised by City Engineer W. D. Hurst and Associate Bridge Engineers J. B. Striowski and William Walkden. The $1.75 million span was opened officially on 15 September 1955 with a ribbon-cutting ceremony by Mayor George E. Sharpe and Premier Douglas L. Campbell. A commemorative plaque is affixed along the northeast side of the structure off Assiniboine Avenue. A refit was completed in 1984 at a cost of nearly $4 million.
“Midtown Bridge design gets okay,” Winnipeg Free Press, 10 February 1955, page 3.
“Traffic men face 10 days of horror,” Winnipeg Free Press, 5 September 1955, pages 1 and 4.
“1,210 tons of steel went into bridge,” Winnipeg Free Press, 14 September 1955, page 25.
“Steel girder job biggest in Manitoba,” Winnipeg Free Press, 14 September 1955, page 25.
“Congratulations to the citizens of Winnipeg on the opening of their new Midtown Bridge,” Winnipeg Tribune, 15 September 1955, page 38.
“Nearly 20,000 vehicles pour over new bridge,” Winnipeg Free Press, 16 September 1955, page 3.
“Bridge is centre of ‘name calling’,” Winnipeg Free Press, 20 March 1962, page 3.
“When will the Donald Street Bridge be open again,” Winnipeg Free Press, 27 September 1984, page 23.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 26 December 2018
Back to top of page