Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Jens Munk at Churchill
Field Trip:
Churchill
2020

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: McLaren Farm

The map location for this Historic Site of Manitoba is UNKNOWN.
If you know its location, please contact us at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Around 1981, this building in the Carberry area was featured in a Manitoba Co-operator series on rural architecture. The original caption for the photograph is given below.

One of the most distinctive sets of farm buildings in Manitoba can still be found at the McLaren farm, one mile north of town (or one mile south of the Trans Canada Highway). Following design influences of American architect Orson A. Fowler, according to family sources, the set of buildings contains a silo, granary and threshing shed, carriage house, well house, and main house. Some buildings of the original farm have been removed. Perhaps most distinctive to viewers will be the buildings portrayed in the below picture. In the foreground is what remains of the granary and drive shed built in 1915 at a cost of $1,370.80. Pictured through the doorway is the carriage shed built just a few years earlier. The stable, well house and silo were built about 1904 although the slightly askew silo is all that remains of an integrated complex that cost $1,751.75 at the time. According to a meticulous set of original records by Archie McLaren, who helped build the structures, a brick house was also constructed in 1907 at a cost of $3,520.85. Mr. McLaren was one of several McLaren men to come West from the Galt area of Ontario in the mid-1870s, leaving behind father Jack and other brothers to continue the family business of market gardening. Great grandson Jack eventually took over the farm in the 1940s and it has since continued with other members of the family. The buildings, for which $50 worth of stone was brought in from Lake of the Woods area, are now used for storage of various production.

McLaren Farm

McLaren Farm (circa 1981)
Source: Bob Hainstock

Sources:

This page was prepared by Bob Hainstock, Ed Ledohowski, and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 13 March 2017

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.