Historic Sites of Manitoba: C. H. McFadyen Park (416 Assiniboine Avenue, Winnipeg)
This park was initially located at the northwest corner of Hargrave Street and York Avenue and named Victory Playground on 15 October 1941 at the suggestion of Charles Holmes McFadyen. The park was some 100 square feet in size, the land for which was acquired via a tax sale and turned over to the Winnipeg Parks Board. Work on the playground began in 1942, with the planting of numerous elm and ash trees during Arbor Day celebrations on 11 May 1942. The park was opened officially by Winnipeg Mayor John Queen on 30 June 1942 at a community event attended by J. W. Speirs, President and General Manager of Modern Dairies, who donated treats for the occasion. Also present was Vice-Chairman of the Parks Board C. H. McFayden, Recreation Committee Chairman Benjamin Cronyn Parker, and Councillor Hilda Hesson. The supervised playground was designated exclusively for children up to 12 years of age and featured a two-foot-deep wading pool, restrooms, and playground amenities costing some $4,400.
In 1950, the park was renamed in honour of McFadyen, a long-time member of the Parks Board. It was relocated to its present site in 1972 to allow for the construction of the Holiday Towers complex.
“New playground is Victory Park,” Winnipeg Tribune, 17 October 1941, page 10.
“Playground to be called Victory Park,” Winnipeg Free Press, 16 October 1941, page 22.
“Parks Board seeks to hold credit balance,” Winnipeg Free Press, 22 January 1942, page 23.
“Getting down to earth,” Winnipeg Free Press, 11 May 1942, page 5.
“Victory Park opening attracts big crowd of excited children,” Winnipeg Free Press, 1 July 1942, page 3.
“Playground renamed to honor C. H. McFadyen,” Winnipeg Free Press, 6 January 1950, page 3.
Information for this page was provided by The City of Winnipeg’s Planning, Property and Development Department, which acknowledges the contribution of the Government of Manitoba through its Heritage Grants Program.
Page revised: 19 October 2014
Back to top of page