Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: McDonald Block (841 Rosser Avenue, Brandon)

Built in 1892, this two-storey brick building in Brandon was designed by architect W. H. Shillinglaw for clothiers John A. McDonald and Frank Calvert. The firm of McDonald & Calvert remained at this location for over sixty years.

McDonald Block

McDonald Block (May 2018)
Source: George Penner

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.84857, W99.94986
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Memorable Manitobans: Walter Henderson Shillinglaw (1864-1957)

Sources:

Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.

This page was prepared by George Penner and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 11 August 2019

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.