Historic Sites of Manitoba: Marsden School #2 No. 1247 (Municipality of Deloraine-Winchester)
Marsden School #2 was established as a result of work by School Inspector George Hunter to ensure that students unable to get to Marsden School #1 would be accommodated. Built of logs in 1938, the structure was later sided with lumber to improve its warmth in winter. It was attended primarily by Metis children living in the forests around Lake Metigoshe, in what is now the Municipality of Deloraine-Winchester. The school closed in June 1966, with students going to Deloraine School, but the building continued to be used for some time as a community centre and hall. At the time of a 2011 site visit, the building was privately owned but appeared abandoned. It was subsequently moved near Lake Dromore and renovated into a summer cabin.
Teachers at Marsden School #2 through the years included the following: Syd Morris, Harry Ferguson, Mrs. Attenberg, Nick Symenchuk, Mr. Kerlock, Mr. Boychuk, Mr. Marsh, Mrs. Brown, Jim Rea, Mrs. Gray, Mrs. Hoevie, Arnie Shareski, Morgan Brown, Henry Giesbrecht, Henry Schellenberg, Mrs. La Haye, Irene Patterson Nelson, Marg Fehr, Tom Edwards, and Arla Giesbrecht.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Deloraine Scans a Century: 1880-1980 by Deloraine History Book Committee, 1980, pages 142-143.
We thank Leah Cann for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 10 May 2018
Back to top of page