Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Alexandra Block / Mariaggi Hotel (231 McDermot Avenue, Winnipeg)

This three-storey brick structure in the Exchange District of Winnipeg was constructed in early 1902 and supervised by local architect William B. Lait on behalf of hotelier Frank Mariaggi. Known initially as the Alexandra Block, the main floor was intended to house a large restaurant and stores, while the upper two levels were going to be “suites for bachelors.” Within a year, Mariaggi had turned the building into a hotel with single rooms and suites each equipped with telephone and bath, separate dining rooms for women and men, and a private dining room in a basement grotto. The building is still in use as a hotel.

Mariaggi Hotel

Mariaggi Hotel (circa 1903)
Source: An Illustrated Souvenir of Winnipeg by W. A. Martel & Sons

Postcard view of Mariaggi Hotel

Postcard view of Mariaggi Hotel (circa 1907)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough, 2020-0072

Mariaggi Hotel

Mariaggi Hotel (February 2019)
Source: George Penner

Gentlemen’s dining room in the Mariaggi Hotel

Gentlemen’s dining room in the Mariaggi Hotel (circa 1903)
Source: An Illustrated Souvenir of Winnipeg by W. A. Martel & Sons

Suite in the Mariaggi Hotel

Suite in the Mariaggi Hotel (circa 1903)
Source: An Illustrated Souvenir of Winnipeg by W. A. Martel & Sons

Refreshment bar in the Mariaggi Hotel

Refreshment bar in the Mariaggi Hotel (circa 1903)
Source: An Illustrated Souvenir of Winnipeg by W. A. Martel & Sons

Private dining room in grotto in the Mariaggi Hotel

Private dining room in grotto in the Mariaggi Hotel (circa 1903)
Source: An Illustrated Souvenir of Winnipeg by W. A. Martel & Sons

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.89720, W97.14068
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Albert Block (86 Albert Street, Winnipeg)

MHS Centennial Business: Mariaggi Hotel

Memorable Manitobans: Frank Mariaggi (c1847-1918)

Memorable Manitobans: William Barnes Lait (1855-1928)

Sources:

“Progress of the prairie capital,” Winnipeg Tribune, 12 January 1902, page 5.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and George Penner.

Page revised: 20 July 2020

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.