Historic Sites of Manitoba: Albert Block (86 Albert Street, Winnipeg)
The Albert Block has an irregular shape facing McDermot Avenue and Albert Street. Constructed in 1901 on a design by Minneapolis architect Fremont D. Orff, and initially known as the Alexandra Apartment Block, it was built as a speculative venture by lawyers James S. Tupper and William J. Tupper, and land developer Walter Suckling. Construction was supervised by local architect W. B. Lait.
In December 1902, a restaurant was opened on the ground floor by Frank Mariaggi who later purchased the building and converted the remainder into a luxury hotel. In 1908, Mariaggi sold the business. The hotel continued under successive proprietors George Skinner and T. B. Campbell, the latter of whom renamed it to the St. Andrew’s Hotel. The hotel closed in 1915 then reopened in 1917 with three shops on the main floor and upper floors reclassified as apartments.
The building is a municipally-designated historic site.
Albert Block (86 Albert Street / 227-237 McDermot Avenue), City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, July 1984.
We thank George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 1 April 2017
Back to top of page