A wooden grain elevator, on the CNR Hartney Subdivision in what is now the Municipality of Wallace-Woodworth, was built in 1928 and operated by Manitoba Pool Elevators. It was named Maples due to the proximity of a farm at SE4-10-26W, belonging to Col. E. A. C. Hosmer, that had been named “The Maples.” Threatened with rail line abandonment, the building was moved to Virden in July 1964, the first elevator to be moved in Manitoba, where it continued to operate with a newly-built annex and office until 1978 when its function was replaced by a modern high-throughput elevator outside of town.
Agent / Buyer
Roy E. Green
William H. “Bill” Hollier (1908-1990)
W. L. McDonald
G. H. Gillies
James Oswald “Jim” Hollier (1919-1997)
J. M. Levins
L. M. Rose
See Virden Elevator
The Manitoba Pool grain elevator at Maples being moved to Virden (July 1964)
Source: Linda Pearn
The Manitoba Pool grain elevator at Maples being moved to Virden (July 1964) by Earl Gordon Johnston
Source: Shelley Johnston-Frith
Site Location (lat/long): N49.80007, W100.94576
denoted by symbol on the map above
Memorable Manitobans: Edward Arthur Christopher Hosmer (1853-1921)
Manitoba Pool Fonds, S. J. McKee Archives, Brandon University.
Virden Review, 1957-1970 compiled by Jean L. Whiteford and Edith A. M. Moody, Virden Town Council, 1970, pages 214-215.
Virden West topographic map, 62F/15 West, Edition 1, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].
Obituaries and burial transcriptions, Manitoba Genealogical Society.
We thank Linda Pearn and Shelley Johnston-Frith for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 10 October 2022
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at email@example.com.
Help us keep history alive!