Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Maple Leaf Apartments (915 Corydon Avenue, Winnipeg)

A building permit for an apartment block on Corydon Avenue near Wentworth Street in Winnipeg was issued in April 1912. Initial plans called for contractor M. Meyerson to build a $100,000 structure based on architectural plans of Hugh Gordon Holman. By July 1912, the site was owned by the Western Land Agency which advertised it as ready for excavation. By November, it was sold by the Union Bank for $25,000 to the real estate partnership of Mansell Allan Davis and Ralph P. McGreevy who again advertised it for sale.

In 1914, local architects John Simpson Hooper and William Thraves Davis designed this three-storey brick block for the Fort Rouge Investment Company. The building was to be constructed in two parts, each measuring 49 feet by 120 feet and containing 28 apartments, at a total cost of about $75,000. Construction of the U-shaped block began in mid-1914 with suites advertised for rent as early as August 1914.

Maple Leaf Apartments

Maple Leaf Apartments (May 2018)
Source: Nathan Kramer

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.86871, W97.16017
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Memorable Manitobans: John Simpson Hooper (1875-1940)

Memorable Manitobans: William Thraves Davis (1882-1954)

Sources:

City of Winnipeg Building Permit 1022/1912, City of Winnipeg Archives.

“Near five millions,” Winnipeg Tribune, 29 April 1912, page 3.

“Corydon and Wentworth,” Manitoba Free Press, 9 July 1912, page 3.

“Smith Street property continues in demand,” Winnipeg Tribune, 28 November 1912, page 8.

City of Winnipeg Building Permit 1361/1914, City of Winnipeg Archives.

City of Winnipeg Building Permit 1912/1914, City of Winnipeg Archives.

“Maple Leaf Apts. - new building,” Manitoba Free Press, 19 August 1914, page 14.

“Maple Leaf Apts. - new building,” Manitoba Free Press, 27 October 1914, page 13.

“Rentals - Suites to let - W. E. Garnett Co.” Winnipeg Tribune, 2 October 1914, page 15.

“Rentals - Suites to let - W. E. Garnett Co.” Winnipeg Tribune, 14 November 1914, page 15.

“Maple Leaf Apartments,” Manitoba Free Press, 1 February 1915, page 12.

Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.

Preparation of this page was supported, in part, by the Gail Parvin Hammerquist Fund of the City of Winnipeg.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 24 April 2022

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.