Historic Sites of Manitoba: Northwood School / Makaroff School No. 1238 (Makaroff, Municipality of Roblin)
Known originally as Northwood School when it was established in May 1903, in Makaroff in what is now the Municipality of Roblin, it adopted the name of the village when it became Makaroff Consolidated School in 1913, being consolidated with Boggy Creek School No. 1330 and Berry Grove School No. 1406. On 4 February 1919, the school was destroyed by fire and was replaced by a two-storey brick structure designed by Winnipeg architect E. D. Tuttle. In 1967, it became part of the Intermountain School Division. The building is no longer present at the site.
Among the teachers of Makaroff School was Margaret Creighton.
Photos & Coordinates
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
“Makaroff consolidated school burned down,” Manitoba Free Press, 8 February 1919, page 3.
“Tenders,” Manitoba Free Press, 7 July 1919, page 13.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 21 July 2019