Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Little Woody School No. 1271 (Municipality of Swan Valley West)

The Little Woody School District was organized formally in January 1904 and, later that year, a one-room schoolhouse was constructed at NW34-36-28W in what is now the Municipality of Swan Valley West. The original building was later destroyed by fire and a new structure replaced it at the same site. It was replaced in 1957 by a building with a full basement, central heat, and indoor plumbing. The district was dissolved in 1967 and its catchment area became part of the Swan Valley School Division. The former school was used for a time as a community centre. It was in the late 1980s to the Little Woody Baptist Church, which had been holding services in it since 1936. The congregation built a new church on the site in 1992 and, two years later, the former schoolhouse was moved to The Pas where it was used as a mission church on a First Nation east of the city.

Among the teachers of Little Woody School were Mr. Harvey (1905-1906), Miss Harvey (1906-1907), Bill Ingram (1907-1908), Ilene Hicks (1908-1912), Helen Stanfield (1912-1914), Beth Leggett (1918), and George A. Hunt (1920-1921).

The original Little Woody School

The original Little Woody School (no date) by J. S. Peach
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 89.

The original Little Woody School

The original Little Woody School (no date) by J. S. Peach
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 89.

The second Little Woody School

The second Little Woody School (no date) by J. S. Peach
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 89.

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N52.14306, W101.39376
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

School District Formation Files [Little Woody School District No. 1271], GR1688, E0027, Archives of Manitoba.

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Boots, Buggies & Buses: Swan Valley Schools in Quest of Education, Swan Valley School Division No. 35, circa 1998.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 30 April 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep
history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.