Historic Sites of Manitoba: Lanark School No. 763 (RM of Pipestone)
Known as Reston School District when it was established formally in December 1885, it was renamed Lanark School District in 1892. A school building was erected in 1887 at NE27-7-27W in the Rural Municipality of Pipestone. The school closed in 1934 but the district was not dissolved until January 1964. A monument dedicated on 29 June 1984 commemorates the school.
The teachers of Lanark School were John Acheson (1887), E. Guthrie Perry, Donald A. McNiven, L. Macdonald (1909), Miss Kemp Cossar (1913), Bella Napier (1916), Christine Guthrie (1922), Doris Bulloch (1924), Anne Guthrie (1925-1927), Myrtle Stinson (1927-1929), Birdie Stinson (1929-1933), and Miss Bulloch (1933-1934).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Trails Along the Pipestone by Pipestone History Project, c1981, pages 295-296. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.P56 Tra]
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 14 January 2018
Back to top of page