Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 138 years

 


MHS
Events


Manitoba
History

No. 84


This Old
Elevator


Abandoned
Manitoba


War
Memorials
in Manitoba


Digitized
Local History
Books


Memorable
Manitobans


Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Lambton School No. 573 (RM of Pipestone)

The Lambton School District was established in March 1889 and a wood frame school building operated at SE14-8-27W in the Rural Municipality of Pipestone. The district was dissolved in 1967 as students from this area went to Reston Consolidated School No. 141 or Virden Consolidated School No. 144. The school building is no longer present at the site.

The teachers of Lambton School were Bessie McKinnon (1892), George N. Giles (1893), D. Muldrew (1894), Mina H. McLaren (1895), Mina McLaren (1896), Mina McLaren (1897), Mary McLaren (1897), Bertha M. Hill (1898), Nellie McLacklan (1902-1903), E. M. Cameron (1902), D. E. MacLean (1904-1905), Arley Nelson Tapscott (1906), N. S. Fitzsimmon (1907-1908), L. M. LaPointe (1909), Anna M. Acres (1909-1910), Myrtle Pope (1911), A. M. Matthews (1912), Clara Hayward (1912-1913), Clara Hayward (1914), Miss Koester (1915), Marguerite Lloyd (1916), Marguerite Smith (1916), Minnie Pommer (1917), Evelyn Rowley (1918), Norah Pigg (1918), Myrtle Wray (1919), Edith Snider (1920), Tina Fraser (1921-1923), Phyllis Holt (1923-1924), Tina Fraser (1924-1926), L. D. Mallock (1927), Euphemia Fraser (1928-1931), Kay Graham (1931-1933), Kay Graham (1934-1936), Nellie Pringle (1936-1940), Olive Good (1940-1943), Margaret Pringle (1943), Eileen Hagen), Mabel Taylor (1944), Isabelle Kelsey (1945-1946), Olive Dunn (1946), Nellie Taylor (1952-1954), Harry Theison (1954-1958), Mrs. Frame (1958-1959), Betty Stewart (1959-1961, 1962), and Karen Nylin (1961).

Lambton School

Lambton School (no date) by W. R. Beveridge
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 89.

Lambton School

The former Lambton School (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 1050.

Lambton School

Former location of Lambton School (May 2013)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.65118, W101.03198
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Trails Along the Pipestone by Pipestone History Project, c1981, pages 285-286. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.P56 Tra]

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 9 August 2015

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2017 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.